About Westside Theatre
The Westside Theatre was originally designed as the Second German Baptist Church by the architect Henry F. Kilburn. Construction began on September 17, 1889 and was completed on April 29, 1890. At that time the estimated cost of erecting the building was $25,000. The first secular use of the building occurred in 1968 when it became a discotheque called Club Sanctuary. After four years, the club’s popularity waned and on April 5, 1972 Club Sanctuary closed. On October 17, 1973, The Contractor by David Storey became the first play produced here by the Chelsea Theatre Group. The building was renamed the Chelsea Westside Theatre. Vanities and Strider are among the plays that appeared at the theatre with Robert Kalfin as its Producing Director. From 1981 until 1990, the theatre was managed by Raymond L. Gaspard under the name, The Westside Arts Theatre. Currently the theatre is under the management of Reno Productions, Inc. After an extensive renovation, Reno Productions opened the theatre in March of 1991 under the name The Westside Theatre. The Kander and Ebb musical And the World Goes 'Round and Rick Reynolds’ Only the Truth is Funny (in the Upstairs and Downstairs Theatres respectively) were the inaugural productions under the new management.
New York, NY 10036View on Google Maps
Transportation & Parking
Quick Park Garage (350 West 43rd St, New York, NY 10036)
E42nd Street- Port Authority Bus Terminal Station
Nearby Points of Interest
Be in the know. Stay up to date and get exclusive offers.
We won't share your information with anyone else