St. James Theatre
About St. James Theatre
The St. James Theatre is a Broadway theatre located at 246 West 44th Street (between 7th & 8th Avenues) in New York City. It was built by Abraham L. Erlanger, theatrical producer and a founding member of the Theatrical Syndicate, on the site of the original Sardi's restaurant. It opened in 1927 as The Erlanger. Upon Erlanger's death in 1930, control of the venue was taken over by the Astor family, who owned the land on which the theatre stood. The Astors renamed it the St. James Theatre. The theatre was taken over by the Shuberts in 1941. They were forced to sell it to William L. McKnight in 1957 following the loss of an antitrust case. McKnight renovated the St. James and reopened it in 1958. In 1970, McKnight then transferred the theatre to his daughter Virginia and her husband James H. Binger, who had formed Jujamcyn Theaters.
246 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036View on Google Maps
Transportation & Parking
Icon Parking Systems (249 West 43rd Street) Champion Parking Garage (251 West 45th Street)
E42nd Street- Port Authority Bus Terminal Station
3Times Square- 42nd Street
RTimes Square- 42nd Street
Nearby Points of Interest
Be in the know. Stay up to date and get exclusive offers.
We won't share your information with anyone else