About Lyric Theatre
The Lyric Theatre has a long history of names, owners, and construction plans. Today, the 1,932-seat Broadway house sits on the site of two former theaters, the Apollo Theatre and the Lyric Theatre. The original Lyric was constructed in 1903, and the Apollo in 1920. The venues presented Shakespeare works and world premieres, including Cole Porter’s “Fifty Million Frenchmen” in 1929. The two buildings fell into disrepair and were condemned in the ‘90s. The current building, opened in 1998, has been named the Ford Center for the Performing Arts, the Hilton, and the Foxwoods Theatre before coming into new ownership and returning to its original moniker, the Lyric Theatre, in 2014. The large theatre has been home to large productions, including “Spider-Man Turn Off the Dark” and “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.”
- Fun Facts About the Lyric Theatre
- The space was converted into a movie theatre in 1934.
- Although the original venues were demolished in the ‘90s, some of the structural elements were preserved and restored. A dome from the old Lyric theater and a proscenium arch from the Apollo have been incorporated into the current Lyric Theatre.
- The theatre underwent a transformation for its current tenant, “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.” The renovation included a large bird wing on the facade of the building and a nest on the theater’s rooftop.
New York, NY 10036View on Google Maps
Transportation & Parking
Theatre Parking (415 West 45th Street) Icon Parking Systems (249 West 43rd Street)
E42nd Street- Port Authority Bus Terminal
3Times Square- 42nd Street
RTimes Square- 42nd Street