Escape to Margaritaville
About Escape to Margaritaville
Welcome to Margaritaville, where people come to get away from it all—and stay to find something they never expected.
ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE is the musical comedy featuring both original songs and your most-loved JIMMY BUFFETT classics, including “Come Monday,” “Volcano,” “Cheeseburger in Paradise” and many more. With a book by Emmy Award winner GREG GARCIA and Emmy nominee MIKE O’MALLEY, this electrifying new production is choreographed by Tony Award nominee KELLY DEVINE and directed by Tony Award winner CHRISTOPHER ASHLEY.
Don't miss the hilarious and heartwarming new show the LA Times calls "Pure escapism! Filled with brilliant songwriting." Come and forget about your troubles in a tropical paradise.
It’s 5 o’clock somewhere, Parrotheads! Jimmy Buffet comes to Broadway with this feel-good show about the power of love, friendship, and margaritas. The musical, which features a score of Buffet’s classic tunes, follows beach bum Tully, who wants nothing more than to wile away his days at an oceanside resort, welcoming tourists and enjoying the company of a new woman every week. However, when scientist Rachel shows up on a bachelorette trip with her engaged friend Tammy, Tully discovers that there may be more to life than just beachside sunsets and casual encounters.
Directed by Tony-winner Christopher Ashley with a book by Gary Garcia and Mike O’Malley, “Escape to Margaritaville” proves that there is power in following your heart and that big dreams are always worth following. The show is a touching, crowd-pleasing hit, and it’s winning over audiences on Broadway with its popular songs, energetic dance numbers, and moving message. Don’t miss your chance to escape to the islands and bask in the Buffett beat.
What To Watch For
- Look out for flying! While a musical about life on the islands may not sounds like the sort of show where people fly, this inventive show features multiple scenes where characters take flight.
- Beach balls come bounding into the audience during curtain call. You’ll feel just like you’re at a beach party, swatting the orbs around with your fellow audience members.
- Jimmy Buffett made Paul Nolan, who plays Tully, go to a tanning salon for the role. The character is loosely modeled after Buffett.
- There are plenty of nuggets for Parrotheads, including a sing-a-long to “Why Don’t We Get Drunk and Screw?” Sometimes, Jimmy Buffett himself even makes an unannounced cameo at curtain call.
- “Escape to Margaritaville” premiered in New Orleans before coming to Broadway. It closed on Oct. 28, 2017 which is considered Parrothead Day.
2hr 20min (incl. intermission)
1535 Broadway, New York, NY 10036
Opened in 1986, the Marquis Theatre is one of the newest theatres to be built on Broadway. Located inside the Marriott Marquis Hotel, it was designed to provide maximum comfort for audiences and actors while conveying a feeling of intimacy. The venue features expansive backstage, high ceilings, state-of-the-art acoustics, wide aisles, comfortable seats, ample restrooms and parking. Since its opening, the theatre has showcased a series of hit musicals including Me and My Girl, Gypsy, Man of La Mancha, The Goodbye Girl, Damn Yankees, Victor/Victoria, Peter Pan, Annie Get Your Gun and Thoroughly Modern Millie. Before or after seeing a show at the Marquis, theatergoers can dine at one of the fine restaurants located throughout the hotel.