The Band's Visit on Broadway
About The Band's Visit
THE BAND’S VISIT is the winner of 10 Tony Awards, making it one of the most Tony-winning musicals in history. In this delightfully offbeat story, set in a town that’s way off the beaten path, a band of musicians arrive lost, out of the blue. Under the spell of the desert sky, and with beautiful music perfuming the air, the band brings the town to life in unexpected and tantalizing ways. Even the briefest visit can stay with you forever.
With a score that seduces your soul and sweeps you off your feet, and featuring Tony-winning performances and thrillingly talented onstage musicians, THE BAND’S VISIT rejoices in the way music makes us laugh, makes us cry, and ultimately, brings us together.
Tell Me More
This intimate, charming musical will transport you to another world, where isolation begets community, and the soaring music from a far-off land might just remind you of home. Based on the 2007 Israeli film written and directed by Eran Kolin, “The Band’s Visit” had its world premiere off Broadway at Atlantic Theater Company in 2016. The musical has a book by Itamar Moses, score by David Yazbek, and is directed by David Cromer. The story follows a touring Egyptian police band on its way to perform at the cultural center in Petah Tikva in Israel. When they board the wrong bus to Bet Hatikva, a stranded desert town with only one pay phone on its barren streets, their route converges with a lively group of locals. What could have been a disaster turns into an evening of camaraderie, as the locals take in the band members and introduce them to the culture and community of the town. Sometimes when you are feeling the most lost and alone, a stranger — or a group of them — can make you feel like the world is whole and good again.
“The New York Times” raved that the show is “one of the most ravishing musicals you will ever be seduced by,” and says that “this portrait of a single night in a tiny Israeli desert town confirms a lyric that arrives, like nearly everything in this remarkable show, on a breath of reluctantly romantic hope: “Nothing is as beautiful as something you don’t expect.” So take time to find beauty in imperfections, comfort in isolation, and meaning in the insignificance.
What To Watch For
- The creative team and some of the cast visited Yeruham, the Israeli town that inspired Bet Hatikva, before rehearsals for Broadway began.
- Composer/lyricist David Yazbek says that Katrina Lenk’s performance of “Omar Sharif” is one of his favorite renditions of any of his songs.
- When “The Band’s Visit” premiered at Atlantic Theatre Company, the show won several honors, including the Lucille Lortel Award for Outstanding Musical, Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding Off-Broadway Musical, and Best Musical from the New York Drama Critics Circle.
- “The Band’s Visit” marks Tony Shalhoub’s first musical on Broadway. The Golden Globe and Emmy-winning actor has previously only appeared in plays.
- Stay after the curtain call is over: The band takes the stage and plays an encore.
90 minutes, no intermission
Recommended for 12 + Children under the age of 4 are not permitted in the theatre.