The Radio City Rockettes Christmas Spectacular
About The Rockettes
Experience wonder like never before with the ultimate New York City holiday celebration at the Christmas Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes presented by Chase. Radio City Music Hall transforms into a magical winter wonderland where the sights and sounds of Christmas surround you, and the legendary Radio City Rockettes dazzle on the Great Stage. This New York Christmas tradition is sure to become an unforgettable memory with your loved ones.
Start your tradition at this year’s Christmas Spectacular from November 8th through January 5th!
Tell Me More
Santa Claus is officially back in town because the annual “Christmas Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes” has returned to New York City. During the most wonderful time of the year, the world-renowned Rockettes take on the largest indoor theater in the world for an evening filled with Christmas carols and high-kicking showstoppers.
A theatrical staple since 1933, the “Christmas Spectacular” celebrates the holiday season with everything from a “Living Nativity,” complete with real camels and sheep, to the iconic “Parade of the Wooden Soldiers,” in which 36 dancers march onstage (and fall) in perfect synchronicity. A musical revue of holiday magic, directed and choreographed by Julie Branam, the “Spectacular” has evolved over the years — and now includes visuals engulfing the entire auditorium, 3D projections, and live aerialists. Last year, Santa’s elves even masterminded a new finale, in which 100 mini drones fly above head to create the stars that illuminate the wintery night sky.
What To Watch For
- Although 36 Rockettes perform at each show, 80 women are cast each year from hundreds of hopefuls — even returning Rockettes must re-audition with no guarantee they’ll make the cut.
- The Rockettes began in 1925 as the Missouri Rockets, created by Russell Markert. Their “big break” came when theater impresario Samuel Lionel “Roxy” Rothafel saw them on tour and hired the group — then 16 women — for his Roxy Theater.
- Rockettes must stand between 5’6” and 5’10½” without shoes.
- Some of the show’s costume changes can be extremely quick. In the past, the Rockettes have only had 78 seconds to change out of their “Parade of the Wooden Soldiers” costume and into their next outfit.
- The Archbishop of New York blesses the show’s animals used in the “Nativity” number before opening night.
90 minutes, no intermission