freestyle love supreme on Broadway
About freestyle love supreme on Broadway
Before Hamilton, before In the Heights, there was "freestyle love supreme." Now, more than 15 years after its inception, the original hip-hop musical phenomenon from Thomas Kail, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and Anthony Veneziale arrives on Broadway.
Every performance, the crew takes the crowd on a freestyle, hip-hop, improvisational, never-before-seen comedy ride. See it for the first time every time as the performers take suggestions from the audience and spin them into instantaneous riffs and full-length musical numbers.
With special - and spontaneous - guest appearances from Lin-Manuel Miranda, Daveed Diggs, Chris Jackson, James Monroe Iglehart, and more, every night brings the unexpected.
Tell Me More
Lin-Manuel Miranda is coming back to the Great White Way. “Freestyle Love Supreme,” the hit 85-minute improv piece created in part by the Tony Award- and Pulitzer Prize-winning writer of “Hamilton,” is making its Broadway debut — and Miranda is slated to make occasional surprise appearances. Starring Andrew Bancroft (“Jelly Donut”), Arthur Lewis (“Arthur The Geniuses”), Bill Sherman (“King Sherman”), Chris Sullivan (“Shockwave”), Anthony Veneziale (“Two-Touch”, and Utkarsh Ambudkar (“UTK”), the show will be completely different every night.
For the hip-hop improvised piece, directed by Miranda’s longtime collaborator Thomas Kail, the performers take suggestions from the audience to craft an evening specific to the crowd. And each performance will feature new songs and surprise guests such as frequent “Freestyle Love Supreme” members Christopher Jackson, Daveed Diggs, and James Monroe Iglehart as well as Wayne Brady, Ashley Pérez Flanagan, and more. Give yourself plenty of time to get to the Booth Theatre because the fun begins before the lights even come down — at “mic check!”
What To Watch For
- Don’t expect to Facebook Live the latest performance — cell phones and smartwatches must be placed in a lockable Yondr pouch that will only unlock at the end of the show.
- “Freestyle Love Supreme” premiered off Broadway at Ars Nova in 2004.
- Collaborators Lin-Manuel Miranda and Thomas Kail said that, back it 2004, it “seemed completely out of the realm of possibility” that the show would ever come to Broadway.
- The title “Freestyle Love Supreme” is inspired by the John Coltrane jazz suite “A Love Supreme.”
- Miranda said that “Freestyle Love Supreme” has shaped his writing “more than any other creative endeavor” he’s been a part of.
1hr 20min (no intermission)
Recommended for 14 +. Children under the age of 4 are not permitted in the theatre.