Jagged Little Pill on Broadway
More Broadway Shows
About Jagged Little Pill
From Academy Award-winning writer Diablo Cody (Juno) comes an “urgent, wildly entertaining, and wickedly funny” (The Boston Globe) original story of suburban subversion inspired by Alanis Morissette’s Grammy Award-winning album.
Mary Jane Healy is a high-achieving homemaker who will do anything for her family, including their adopted African-American daughter Frankie, who is struggling to find her place in their lily-white community. But when the Healys’ lives begin to unravel, Mary Jane’s drive to keep her family together threatens to break them apart.
Featuring Morissette’s iconic songs, including “Ironic,” “You Oughta Know,” and “Hand in My Pocket,” as well as newly written material, this “big-hearted musical that breaks the mold” (The New York Times) is directed by Tony Award winner Diane Paulus (Waitress, Pippin), with music supervision, orchestrations, and arrangements by Pulitzer Prize winner Tom Kitt (Next to Normal), and movement direction and choreography by Olivier Award winner and frequent Beyoncé collaborator Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui.
Hailed as “triumphant and moving” by Variety, JAGGED LITTLE PILL comes to Broadway after a record-breaking run at the American Repertory Theater in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Tell Me More
Alanis Morissette’s Grammy Award-winning record “Jagged Little Pill” comes to Broadway in a new show that takes the popular songs and reinvents them for the stage. Diablo Cody has crafted an original story around Morissette’s songs about a family searching for themselves and each other. There’s nothing ironic about this heartfelt and powerful new musical.
Directed by Tony Award winner Diane Paulus, “Jagged Little Pill” follows a Connecticut family who seem to have everything together, but secretly, they’re falling apart. Behind closed doors, mom Mary Jane is struggling with a pill addiction; dad Steve is consumed by porn; their son Nick is striving for perfection; and their adopted daughter Frankie is exploring her sexuality and rebelling against societal norms at all costs. The musical also explores other hot-button issues, such as rape culture and mental health, through 22 of Morissette’s songs, including all 12 from her 1995 album that inspired the show’s title.
What To Watch For
- Although Alanis Morissette agreed to have her songs adapted into a musical, she didn’t want the musical to be about her life in any way.
- Book writer Diablo Cody began creating the story with the character of Mary Jane, inspired by the song title of the same name.
- Morissette’s music is reimagined for the stage production by “Next to Normal” songwriter Tom Kitt, who also arranged Green Day’s music for Broadway’s “American Idiot.”
- Morissette penned two new songs just for “Jagged Little Pill,” titled “Smiling” and “Predator.” Eight songs in the musical come from an album other than “Jagged Little Pill.”
- Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, who frequently collaborates with Beyoncé, choreographed the show.
2hr 30min (Inc. Intermission)
Recommended for ages 14 and older. Children under the age of 4 are not permitted in the theatre.