Jagged Little Pill on Broadway
About Jagged Little Pill
“Redemptive, rousing, and real, ‘Jagged Little Pill’ stands alongside the original musicals that have sustained the best hopes of Broadway." (The New York Times, Critic’s Pick)
Inspired by Alanis Morissette’s Grammy Award-winning masterpiece, JAGGED LITTLE PILL brings to the stage the “humanly recognizable and magnificently staged story” (The Daily Beast) of the Healys, a suburban family whose serene Connecticut lives collide head-on with some of the most burning issues of today.
Through explosive choreography and the raw power of an onstage band, JAGGED LITTLE PILL creates a spellbinding musical experience that lifts its audience from moments of quiet, tender intimacy to pure rock ‘n’ roll release. The result is an electric, fearless look at what it means to be alive in 21st century America and an urgent call for us to come together even as the world pushes us apart.
“‘Jagged Little Pill’ is a show you want to shout about,” writes Variety, “a galvanic production that feels very much of the moment — this moment.”
Tell Me More
Alanis Morissette’s Grammy Award-winning record “Jagged Little Pill” comes to Broadway in a new show that takes the popular songs and reinvents them for the stage. Diablo Cody has crafted an original story around Morissette’s songs about a family searching for themselves and each other. There’s nothing ironic about this heartfelt and powerful new musical.
Directed by Tony Award winner Diane Paulus, “Jagged Little Pill” follows a Connecticut family who seem to have everything together, but secretly, they’re falling apart. Behind closed doors, mom Mary Jane is struggling with a pill addiction; dad Steve is consumed by porn; their son Nick is striving for perfection; and their adopted daughter Frankie is exploring her sexuality and rebelling against societal norms at all costs. The musical also explores other hot-button issues, such as rape culture and mental health, through 22 of Morissette’s songs, including all 12 from her 1995 album that inspired the show’s title.
What To Watch For
- Although Alanis Morissette agreed to have her songs adapted into a musical, she didn’t want the musical to be about her life in any way.
- Book writer Diablo Cody began creating the story with the character of Mary Jane, inspired by the song title of the same name.
- Morissette’s music is reimagined for the stage production by “Next to Normal” songwriter Tom Kitt, who also arranged Green Day’s music for Broadway’s “American Idiot.”
- Morissette penned two new songs just for “Jagged Little Pill,” titled “Smiling” and “Predator.” Eight songs in the musical come from an album other than “Jagged Little Pill.”
- Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, who frequently collaborates with Beyoncé, choreographed the show.
2hr 30min (Inc. Intermission)
Recommended for ages 14 and older. Children under the age of 4 are not permitted in the theatre.