Moulin Rouge! on Broadway
About Moulin Rouge!
Enter a world of splendor and romance, of eye-popping excess, of glitz, grandeur, and glory! A world where Bohemians and aristocrats rub elbows and revel in electrifying enchantment. Pop the champagne and prepare for the spectacular spectacular...
Welcome to Moulin Rouge! The Musical!
Baz Luhrmann’s revolutionary film comes to life onstage, remixed in a new musical mash-up extravaganza. A theatrical celebration of truth, beauty, freedom, and - above all - love, Moulin Rouge! is more than a musical, it is a state of mind.
Tell Me More
At the Moulin Rouge, the show must go on — even for the club’s breathtaking star Satine, who’s torn between the man she loves and the wealthy Duke she’s been promised to in an effort to keep the Parisian cabaret afloat. Set at the turn of the 20th century in Paris, the musical follows what happens when Satine’s world is turned upside down when the writer Christian moves to the city of love in search of artistic purpose — and finds a muse in the main attraction. Christian writes a show starring Satine to save the Moulin Rouge, and their love blossoms behind the scenes — until Christian realizes there’s more than just the villainous Duke putting a stop to their showmance.
Based on the award-winning 2001 Baz Luhrmann film, starring Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor, “Moulin Rouge!” transports audiences to the Bohemian underground filled with spectacle and glamour. Directed by Alex Timbers and featuring a book by John Logan and new musical arrangements by Justin Levine, the production uses over 70 classic pop songs to reimagine the hit movie for the stage.
What To Watch For
- Stage-side “Can Can! Table Seating” places audience members at tables in the orchestra, with the action happening all around them.
- In the movie, Christian is an Englishman, but onstage, the character is an American who is fleeing the Industrial Revolution in search of artistic purpose.
- Baz Luhrmann, who directed and co-wrote the iconic 2001 film, came from a very artistic background. His mother was a ballroom-dance instructor who gave him lessons early on, and his father insisted he study painting and music.
- Luhrmann says that director Alex Timbers “feels like a younger cousin,” and Timbers says he’s been very inspired by Luhrmann’s work. Luhrmann has watched performances and is a supporter of the show.
- New pop hits have been added to the score of “Moulin Rouge!,” including songs by Outkast, Sia, Beyoncé, Fun, Adele, Lorde, Lady Gaga, and Katy Perry.
2hr 45min (including intermission)
Recommended for ages 12 and older.