Oklahoma! on Broadway
About Oklahoma! on Broadway
The interior of Broadway's Circle in the Square Theatre is repurposed as a community hall in this innovative production of Oklahoma!, which coincides with the iconic Rodgers & Hammerstein musical's 75th anniversary.
Tell Me More
After a sold-out, critically acclaimed run at St. Ann’s Warehouse, the #1 Theatrical Event of 2018 (Time), Oklahoma! comes to Broadway for a strictly limited engagement.
Seventy-five years after Rodgers & Hammerstein reinvented the American musical, this is Oklahoma! as you’ve never seen or heard it before, reorchestrated and reimagined for the 21st century.
Stripped down to reveal the darker psychological truths at its core, Daniel Fish’s production tells a story of a community circling its wagons against an outsider, and the violence of the frontier that shaped America. Upending the sunny romance of a farmer and a cowpoke, this Oklahoma! is “thrilling, audacious, and delightful. A rollicking good time: The jokes have never been funnier, the merry songs merrier. This has always been a very American story, but has never felt like so much of one until now.” (The New York Times)
What To Watch For
- This revival marks the sixth run of “Oklahoma!” on Broadway.
- Director Daniel Fish says his reimaged revival wasn’t “about trying to push the show” but “about trying to really hear it.”
- Director Fish, who says “Oklahoma!” was one of the first theatrical shows he saw, has been working on his concept for the musical for over a decade.
- The classic score by Rodgers and Hammerstein has been re-orchestrated for a more intimate band, which includes a banjo, pedal steel guitar, mandolin, bass, cello, and violin.
- Including a re-envisioned ending and a focus on the show’s darker themes, this production is contemporized with a diverse cast in modern-day clothing.
2hr 45min (incl. intermission)