American Son on Broadway
More Broadway Shows
About American Son
Do you know where your children are?
A Florida police station in the middle of the night; a mother searching for her missing teenage son. "American Son" is a gripping tale of two parents caught in our national divide, with their worst fears hanging in the balance.
Tell Me More
The drama in “American Son” begins at about 4:15AM, when Kendra Ellis-Connor arrives at a Miami police station with her ex-husband, Scott, to find out information about their interracial 18-year-old son, Jamal, who has coincidentally gone missing on the same night authorities held a traffic checkpoint. The trouble is — during a time in which innocent black lives have been taken at the hands of power-hungry police — Kendra fears his disappearance may have had something to do with the color of his skin. Things only escalate between Kendra and Scott when Lieutenant John Stokes arrives and rushes to the defense of the police.
Christopher Demos-Brown’s new play, which takes aim at race and politics during the Black Lives Matter movement, stars Kerry Washington and Steven Pasquale as the worried, out-of-love parents trying to piece together what happened to their son — and simultaneously trying to understand each other’s opposing viewpoints on the alarming matter at hand.
What To Watch For
- Actress Kerry Washington was so intrigued by the play’s script when she first read it that — despite an early morning on set call for “Scandal” — she “couldn’t put it down,” she admits.
- “American Son” marks playwright Christopher Demos-Brown’s Broadway debut.
- The play received its world premiere at Barrington Stage Company in 2016.
- “American Son” is the winner of the Laurents/Hatcher Award for Best New Play by an Emerging Playwright.
- This is the sixth of Christopher Demos-Brown’s plays, which all deal with legal or religious issues.
Recommended for 14 + (Language) Children under the age of 4 are not permitted in the theatre.