Brought to life by a groundbreaking all-female creative team, this irresistible new hit features original music and lyrics by 6-time Grammy nominee Sara Bareilles (“Brave,” “Love Song”), a book by acclaimed screenwriter Jessie Nelson ("I Am Sam") and direction by Tony Award winner Diane Paulus ("Pippin," "Finding Neverland"). “It's an empowering musical of the highest order!” raves the Chicago Tribune.
Inspired by Adrienne Shelly’s beloved film, "Waitress" tells the story of Jenna (Katharine McPhee). A waitress and expert pie maker who dreams of a way out of her small town and loveless marriage. A baking contest in a nearby county and the town's new doctor may offer her a chance at a fresh start, while her fellow waitresses offer their own recipes for happiness. But Jenna must summon the strength and courage to rebuild her own life.
“WAITRESS is a little slice of heaven!” says Entertainment Weekly and “a monumental contribution to Broadway!” according to Marie Claire. Don't miss this uplifting musical celebrating friendship, motherhood, and the magic of a well-made pie.
Photos by Joan Marcus and Pamela Hanson.
Tell Me More
The future is female! Sara Bareilles’s soulful score will empower you to love yourself and make the change you need to make in your life. Based on Adrienne Shelly’s 2007 film starring Keri Russell, “Waitress” tells an emotional story about the power of female friendship and family. The show marks the Broadway composing debut of singer-songwriter Bareilles, and her original score features comical songs, heartfelt duets, and soaring ballads that mix a traditional Broadway-pop style with Southern flair.
The story follows Jenna, a small-town waitress who bakes pies to escape her anguish at home. When Jenna finds out she’s pregnant with her abusive husband’s baby, her fellow waitresses and best friends want to do anything they can to help her get out of her bad situation. Directed by Diane Paulus and featuring a book by Jessie Nelson, the show was nominated for four Tony Awards in 2016, including Best Musical, and audiences have been flocking to the Brooks Atkinson Theatre ever since. After all, it only takes a taste before you’ll fall for these characters — and their pie.
What To Watch For
- “Waitress” is the first in Broadway musical history to have an all-female creative team, featuring director Diane Paulus, composer/lyricist Sara Bareilles, and book writer Jessie Nelson.
- A real apple pie bakes in a convection oven in the theater at the beginning of each show for an authentic aroma, and miniature pies in mason jars are sold at the concession stand before the show and at intermission. Stacy Donnelly is the pie consultant for the show.
- Thirty-two real pies are onstage each week, and each pie lasts about 3-4 days, before a crew member takes it home to enjoy.
- Sara Bareilles starred as Jenna for three months in spring 2017, and she also released an album of her singing the show’s score called “What’s Inside: Songs from Waitress.”
- There is an official cookbook for the show called “Sugar, Butter, Flour: The Waitress Pie Book,” and it features 40 different recipes, such as Big Guy Strawberry Pie and My Husband’s a Jerk Pie.
2hr 30min (incl. intermission)
Recommended for 8 +. Children under the age of 4 are not permitted in the theatre.