Motown The Musical
About Motown The Musical
Discover the story behind the sound that moved the world. With just $800 borrowed from his family, Berry Gordy founded Motown records and launched the careers of Diana Ross and the Supremes, Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations and many more. Featuring fifty classic Motown hits including “My Girl”, “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” and “I Heard It Through The Grapevine”, Motown The Musical is a musical sensation that will have you “Dancing In The Street”.
Tell Me More
Featuring hit songs from some of the world’s biggest stars, “Motown” is a story of how one man built a music empire! Berry Gordy is the man behind Motown Records, the hit making machine that shot Diana Ross and The Supremes, The Jackson Five and Stevie Wonder to the top of the charts. Borrowing just $800 from his family, Berry created a record label that would make the career of countless stars of the American music scene. He became a producer, a songwriter and a well-respected music mogul of the time, and his legacy lives on through the stars he worked with.
Audiences are raving about the show’s ability to let you escape into the glamorous 1960s, with iconic music and the shows feel-good energy. “Motown” is perfect for a night out with the girls or a great date night, see the story of Diana Ross’ journey to stardom and Berry Gordy’s rags-to-riches story. You’ll hear classic songs like, “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”, “Please Mr. Postman”, and “I Heard It Through The Grapevine”,
“Motown” has Londoners “dancing in the streets” with its fantastic music - get your tickets now and bring your family and friends to hear the music that made a generation, and the story that changed an industry.
What To Watch For
- The book for the show was written by Berry Gordy himself - who better to write his own story?!
- There are 59 classic Motown hits featured in the show, giving you plenty of Motown history to enjoy.
- There are a total of 40,000 Swarovski crystals sewn to the show’s costumes.
- 95,000 shimmer discs are used to create the glittering facade of the venue Motown plays in, the Shaftesbury Theatre.
- 300 wigs in the show’s wig department and the character of Diana Ross changes her hair 13 times in the show!
- Each performer in Motown goes through 20 quick changes per performance.
2hrs 30min (incl. interval)