Matilda The Musical
Matilda is the tale of a small girl with a big imagination who soon learns she has very special magical powers.
Whilst Matilda's parents think she's a waste of space, she survives by being 'a little bit naughty'. Life isn't much better at school, where monstrous headmistress Miss Trunchbull conducts an incessant reign of terror until one day the kids, including Matilda, choose to fight back...
Tell Me More
Based on the beloved children’s classic by Roald Dahl, Matilda tells the story of a young girl who was always smarter than everybody in the room. In fact, she was smarter than most people in most rooms. In most buildings! But Matilda wasn’t born into a family who could appreciate her specialness. She was the daughter of the Wormwoods - a ballroom dancing obsessed mother and a crooked used car salesman father. The local librarian, however, finds Matilda’s wild imagination and storytelling abilities to be a gift, and the sensitive school teacher, Miss Honey, sees a bright future for Matila, if only she can protect her from the headteacher, Miss Trunchbull.
A cruel and abusive woman, she rules her school with an iron fist, but Matilda has had enough and begins exhibiting new and exciting powers that might just even the playing field between kids and grown ups!
With music and lyrics by comedian Tim Minchin, songs like “When I Grow Up” and “Little Bit Naughty” will definitely become your new favourites. Matilda is full of magic and is a wonderful family show for all ages.
What To Watch For
- When Miss Honey and Matilda sit down together for the song “My House”, they drink cups of tea that are actually hot tea!
- To create Bruce Bogtrotter’s forbidden chocolate cake, the show uses over 100 tubs of delicious chocolate spread every year.
- At certain points in the show, audiences can hear a male voice-over - it’s actually the voice of the show’s writer, Dennis Kelly.
- Renowned children’s book artist and longtime Roald Dahl collaborator, Quentin Blake, designed the Crunchem Hall School badge you can see on the blazers of the children.
- In one year, the production will use almost 12 million pieces of confetti!
2hrs 35min (inc. interval)
Suitable for ages 6+