The Lion King
About The Lion King
Set against the majesty of the Serengeti Plains and to the evocative rhythms of Africa, Disney's multi-award winning musical will redefine your expectations of theatre.
Brilliantly reimagined by acclaimed director Julie Taymor, Disney's beloved film has been transformed into a spectacular theatrical experience that explodes with glorious colours, stunning effects and enchanting music.
At its heart is the powerful and moving story of Simba - the epic adventure of his journey from wide-eyed cub to his destined role as King of the Pridelands.
Tell Me More
Journey across the plains of Africa with Disney’s The Lion King. Based on the hit movie, this beloved musical follows young lion cub Simba, a prince and heir to Pride Rock, the land of his father, Mufasa. As Simba begins to learn what it means to be a King and to lead his people, Mufasa’s duplicitous brother, Scar, plots to take over the Pridelands. With the help of a pack of hyenas, Simba is forced to face the world alone, discovering a new way of life in the jungle with new friends Timon and Pumba.
The Lion King is a fun-filled stage spectacular, featuring music by Elton John and Tim Rice, with fantastic puppetry to bring the animal kingdom to life. See gazelles move gracefully across the stage, an elephant take to the theatre aisles and birds fly across the auditorium!
Tickets to The Lion King in London will be available soon. Set an alert to find out when The Lion King tickets are on sale.
What To Watch For
- The Lion King uses six different African languages throughout the show, including Zulu, Swahili and Xhosa, representing a variety of African nations and communities.
- Julie Taymor, theatre designer and director, designed the all of the costumes and used carbon fibre to create the animal masks. This made them light enough for the performers to wear, but strong enough to last a while for a long running show.
- By far, the largest puppet in the show is the Elephant, given the nickname Bertha by the crew. She is 13 ft long and 9 ft wide and to move her it takes four members of the crew!
- In total, there are 232 puppets in the The Lion King.
- The production showcases 25 different species of animals, birds, fish and insects, including multiple types of puppetry to animate them.
2hrs 30min (incl. interval)
Suitable for ages 6+