Hairspray the Musical is back and starring the West End’s hottest couple! Don’t miss Michael Ball reprising his Olivier Award-winning role as Edna Turnblad alongside star of Have I Got News For You, Paul Merton, as husband Wilbur. The huge-hearted, smash-hit musical arrives at the magnificent London Coliseum from April 2021 for a strictly limited season.
Baltimore, 1962. Tracy Turnblad is a big girl with big hair and big dreams. Can she make it on the local TV dance show, win the heart of teen heartthrob Link Larkin and bring everyone together – whatever their colour, size or hairdo? Well if you want a change, you’ve really got to shake things up!
From the original award-winning creative team of director Jack O’Brien and choreographer Jerry Mitchell, and featuring the infectiously feel-good songs Good Morning Baltimore, You Can’t Stop the Beat and Big, Blonde and Beautiful this inspirational, fun-loving and fabulously uplifting musical sensation is back and bigger than ever.
It’s the show that gives maximum lift. Don’t miss out – book now!
Tell Me More
"Hairspray” follows Tracy Turnblad as she realises her dream of dancing on “The Corny Collins Show.” She soon discovers that the racial segregation taking place on the show doesn’t fit into the world she envisions. Using her newfound fame, Tracy takes to the streets to fight for equality with her friends Penny, Seaweed, and Motormouth Maybelle, despite those around her trying to stop her. Along the way she finds love in teen heartthrob Link Larkin and her mother Edna Turnblad discovers a newfound confidence to join her daughter.
After a hugely successful eight-year run on Broadway, over 1,000 performances and multiple UK tours, “Hairspray” returns to London for a limited time next summer. The New York Times says “Hairspray recreates “the pleasures of the old-fashioned musical comedy without seeming old-fashioned,” and the feel-good musical will restore your faith in humanity. See the hit musical that inspired the hit film with original London cast member Michael Ball reprising his acclaimed role as Edna Turnblad.
Tickets to Hairspray in London are available now. Get Hairspray tickets today.
What To Watch For
- The original Broadway production used over 150 wigs, but Tracy only wears three wigs throughout the show – one at the beginning, one when she joins “The Corny Collins Show,” and the finale wig.
- “The Corny Collins Show” is based on “The Buddy Deane Show” which aired in Baltimore from 1957 to 1964 and also featured segregated teenagers showing off the latest dance moves.
- Composer and lyricist team, Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, were responsible for many of the songs in the TV hit show, “Smash.”
- The 2007 film version is one of the highest-grossing movie musicals of all time. It received the highest-grossing opening weekend until “Mamma Mia!” opened the following year.
- Lizzie Bea will make her West End debut as Tracy Turnblad, continuing tradition that a newcomer is cast in the role. Previous Tracy's include Leanne Jones, Nikki Blonsky and Ricki Lake.