Big The Musical
About Big The Musical
This spectacular production tells the story of Josh Baskin, a twelve year old boy who hates being little, until one night at the carnival the mysterious Zoltar machine grants his wish to be big. Trapped in an adult’s body and alone in New York, he innocently tries to find his way around a grown-up world where it’s all work and no play. But while everyone around him tries to act their age, Josh just can't help being himself. Maybe he can teach the real adults a thing or two. Featuring songs by David Shire and Richard Maltby. Book by John Wiedman. Direction & choreography by Morgan Young
BIG. The show for the big kid in all of us.
Tell Me More
The grass always looks greener when you're young and the grownup world is flying by above your head, but the simplicity of youth is spirited away in the new production of “Big” at London's Dominion Theatre. Jay McGuinness of UK boy-band fame stars in this stage version of the 1988 Tom Hanks film of the same name, which captured the hearts of a generation with its mystical wish—“I just want to be big!” Moving from the big screen to the musical theatre stage, this show explores the trials of youth and a universal emotion that has resonated with audience members from Broadway to the UK — the desire for life to change overnight.
After premiering at Broadway's Shubert Theatre in 1996 and earning five Tony Award nominations, the musical went on to two U.S. national tours in 1997 and 1998. Nearly 20 years passed before it made the leap across the pond, where a revised version of the show enjoyed limited runs at the Theatre Royal Plymouth and the Bord Gais Energy Theatre in Dublin back in 2016. Three years later, this plus-sized musical is casting its spell on the West End for an autumn run. Whether the classic 80s film holds a nostalgic place in your heart, or you simply want to enjoy a bit of West End magic, you don't want to miss this production.
What To Watch For
- Despite earning five Tony Award nominations back in 1996, the show was heavily revised for the 1998 national tour by composer David Shire, lyricist Richard Maltby Jr., and book writer John Weidman.
- Jay McGuinness, who stars as the lead Josh Baskin in this 2019 production, also played the lovable protagonist for the original UK and Ireland productions in 2016.
- For fans of “Big,” the film remains one of Tom Hanks's most iconic roles, but it was almost played by Robert DeNiro, which would have made for a very different mood for this whimsical classic.
- After seeing this show, you may be tempted to seek out your own Zoltar machine and make a big wish, but you'd have to travel to the Rye Playland in New York. Even then, the magical machine from the movie was just a prop, so you would have to settle for a different version of the Zoltar machine tucked away in that old-fashioned theme park.
- The original theatrical script of “Big” contains a number of songs that never made it onto the stage, but you can hear these secret tracks if you get a license for the show, as they're still included on the original recording!
Children under the age of 5 cannot be admitted to the auditorium. All patrons, regardless of age must have a valid ticket.