SIX is the global phenomenon everyone is losing their head over!
From Tudor Queens to Pop Princesses, the six wives of Henry VIII take to the mic to tell their tales, remixing five hundred years of historical heartbreak into a 75-minute celebration of 21st century girl power. These Queens may have green sleeves but their lipstick is rebellious red.
Tell Me More
“Divorced. Beheaded. Died. Divorced. Beheaded. Survived.” The famous rhyme becomes the basis for an upbeat new musical concert about the six wives of Henry VIII. Get ready for a histo-remix that reveals the truth about the half dozen queen bees who were overshadowed by their notorious husband. Coming together and forming a girl band, they pick up microphones and rewrite the history books with catchy pop songs and cleverly written lyrics. Competing against each other to decide who deserves to lead the group, will they be able to agree who suffered the most heartbreak or loss?
These fierce females put feminism centre stage and will change your perception of six historical figures who are typically only remembered because of their husband. With too many years lost in history, you’ll soon discover that there’s more to their personalities than simply Henry’s other half. As one of the hottest tickets at the 2018 Edinburgh Fringe, Toby Marlow and Lucy Moss have created a smash-hit musical that has been described as “‘Hamilton’ with injection of girl power” (The Times).
N.B. There is no step-free access available to the Stalls level.
What To Watch For
- The show originated as a student production at the University of Cambridge, where the authors, musical director, and lighting designer all met while studying.
- The professional premiere of the show sold a record-breaking 10,000 tickets at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2018, playing to sold-out audiences every night at Underbelly (within the iconic upside down purple cow!).
- Watch out for the Greensleeves dance breaks. Originally written as a love poem for Anne Boleyn, the Tudor tune meets nightclub rave with a techno-remix of this famous song.
- The all-female cast are supported with an incredible all-female band, including a musical director who looks after 88 keys, 3 pedals, 2 computers, a microphone, camera, and trigger button.
- Each queen is based on a mix of current pop stars. Pick up a programme to find out who!