Come From Away
About Come From Away
As it continues sold-out, record-breaking engagements on Broadway, across the USA and in Canada, Come From Away will land for its UK premiere at London’s Phoenix Theatre from 30th January 2019.
This joyous new musical shares the incredible real-life story of the 7,000 air passengers from all over the world who were grounded in Canada during the wake of 9/11, and the small Newfoundland community that invited these ‘come from aways’ into their lives.
As uneasiness turned into trust and music soared into the night, gratitude grew into friendships and their stories became a celebration of hope, humanity and unity.
Awarded the Tony® for Best Direction of a Musical, Christopher Ashley’s production guides audiences through a colourful and spirited cast of characters, brought to life by Tony® and Grammy® nominated writing team Irene Sankoff and David Hein.
Tell Me More
Though “Come From Away” musicalizes the aftermath of the terrorist attacks that occurred in New York City and Washington DC, on Sept. 11, 2001 — and the heroic acts in Newfoundland, Canada, in the days that followed — its writers, Irene Sankoff and David Hein, call it a “universal story” of how “the world comes together” that can be appreciated by all. Therefore, they add: “We are particularly thrilled to be sharing this story with audiences in the UK and Ireland.”
When 38 planes, carrying 7,000 passengers, were diverted to Newfoundland after American airspace was closed, the small town of Gander nearly doubled in size. Taking passengers from these U.S. airplanes into their homes — and, more importantly, into their hearts — Newfoundland natives formed inseparable bonds with the people whom they called the “Come From Aways.” Based off the real lives and stories of the passengers, “Come From Away” finds humanity amid a horrific tragedy that shook the globe.
What To Watch For
- A feature film adaptation of “Come From Away,” to be directed by the musical’s Tony Award-winning director Christopher Ashley, is in the works — as well as a documentary about the making of the musical.
- Prior to the West End, “Come From Away” will play a limited engagement at the Abbey Theatre in Dublin.
- The London and Ireland productions of “Come From Away” feature the work of the full Broadway design team, including scenic designer Beowulf Boritt, costume designer Toni-Leslie James, lighting designer Howell Binkley, and sound designer Gareth Owen.
- Besides Broadway, the West End and Ireland, “Come From Away” has played multiple engagements all over the world, including at La Jolla Playhouse and Seattle Repertory Theatre in 2015, Ford’s Theatre in Washington, D.C., and the Royal Alexandra Theatre in Toronto in 2016 — as well as a pit stop back home in Gander.
- The West End production of “Come From Away” will feature a British ensemble.
1hr 40mins (no interval).
Recommended for ages 10+