About Ambassador Theatre
The Ambassador Theatre on 49th Street was designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp to fit a small plot of land for the Shubert brothers. The auditorium is shaped like a hexagon and is situated diagonally to accommodate the maximum amount of seating. Similar to other theaters built by Krapp — he designed 15 Broadway houses in total — the interior of the Ambassador features Adam-Style plasterwork on the ceiling, box seats, and doorways. Like many other Broadway houses in the 1930s, the Ambassador Theatre was turned into both a moviehouse and a radio and television station after the Great Depression hit. It was reopened as a legitimate theater in 1956 by the Shubert organization, and has presented a number of both plays and musicals in the past six decades.
- Fun Facts About the Ambassador Theatre
- Lighting designer Jules Fischer introduced moving lights, an innovative design at the time, in “Bring in 'da Noise, Bring in 'da Funk” at the Ambassador Theatre in 1996.
- The original Broadway production of “Godspell” transferred to the Ambassador Theatre in 1977 after being housed at both the Plymouth Theatre and also the Broadhurst Theatre.
- The stage has limited wing space because of the theater auditorium’s diagonal design.
New York, NY 10036View on Google Maps
Transportation & Parking
Icon Parking Systems (209 West 51st Street, 235 West 48th Street)